Wednesday, June 19, 2024

Latest Posts

War in Sudan: Blinken stresses resumption of Jeddah talks

AA / Khartoum / Adel Abdel Rahim

US Secretary of State Anthony Blinken stressed the need to resume talks in the Saudi Arabian city of Jeddah to end the ongoing fighting between the Sudanese army and the Rapid Support Forces.

This came as a result of a telephone conversation between Blinken and the head of Sudan’s Sovereignty Council, Abdel Fattah al-Burhan, the council said in a statement on Wednesday.

In a phone call, Blinken called for “an end to the war in Sudan and the unhindered delivery of humanitarian aid.”

The US Secretary of State also spoke about the “renewal of talks in Jeddah and the need to end hostilities in the (western) city of El-Fasher in North Darfur State,” according to the same source.

The city has been the scene of clashes since May 20 between the army, backed by armed movements that are signatories to the peace agreement, and the Rapid Support Force, despite international warnings about fighting in al-Fasher, the center of humanitarian operations. Darfur.

In response, Malik Agar, vice-president of the Sudanese Sovereignty Council, condemned Blinken’s call for a resumption of talks in Jeddah.

It was in his speech at the Standing Conference on Community Reconciliation and Peace organized by the (Government) Peace Commission in the city of Port Sudan (East) that the Vice President condemned the proposal of the US Secretary of State, according to the press. Exemption from Sovereignty Council.

“We will not go to Jeddah, whatever the cost,” he said.

Agar stressed that “the Sudanese army is the only force qualified to bring peace and stability to the country.”

More than half of Sudan’s population, approximately 24 million people, are acutely food insecure. Living conditions are deteriorating, with millions of people having limited access to clean water, healthcare and education. Sexual abuse, kidnapping and forced conscription of children were also reported.

Mediation efforts have so far been unsuccessful. Despite repeated calls from the international community to end the conflict and provide urgent humanitarian aid, signs of a ceasefire are slowly emerging.
Since mid-April 2023, the army led by Abdel Fattah al-Burhan and the Rapid Support Force led by Mohamed Hamdan Dagalo, known as “Hemed”, have been waging a war that has killed an estimated 15,000 people and displaced more than 8 million refugees, according to the United Nations.

*Translated from Arabic by Hajer Cherny

Source: AA

Latest Posts

Don't Miss

Stay in touch

To be updated with all the latest news, offers and special announcements.