Monday, April 22, 2024

Latest Posts

Haaretz: 3 Israeli missiles fired from a drone kill World Central Kitchen workers in Gaza

AA / Jerusalem / Zein Khalil

Israeli newspaper Haaretz reported on Tuesday that an Israeli aircraft fired three rockets on Monday at seven aid workers of the World Central Kitchen (WCK) organization in the Gaza Strip, all of whom were killed.

The Israeli army struck a convoy of the World Central Kitchen in the city of Deir al-Balakh in the heart of the Gaza Strip on Monday evening, killing seven Australians, Poles, Britons, Americans and Canadians, as well as Palestinians.

Earlier on Tuesday, the World Central Kitchen Organization decided to suspend humanitarian aid transport operations to Gaza, expressing its “shock” after the fatal shooting of seven members of its team during an Israeli army strike on Gaza.

Citing unnamed well-informed security sources, the Haaretz newspaper said on Tuesday that the Israeli attack on the aid workers was “suspected that a terrorist was also traveling in a convoy that was targeted by a drone that shot down three.” Rockets one after the other.

The sources explained that “a convoy of three vehicles from the World Central Kitchen (WCK) left yesterday evening accompanied by a humanitarian truck to the organization’s food warehouse in the Deir al-Balah district in the center of the Gaza Strip.

According to the same source, the vehicles had clear signs of their membership in the organization on the roof and sides.

Sources close to the details of the incident said that “the operation room of the unit responsible for the protection of the axis passed by the convoy spotted an armed man in a truck and is suspected of being a terrorist”.

The truck arrived at the warehouse accompanied by three vehicles from the organization, seven volunteers, two of whom were dual-nationality Palestinians (USA and Canada) and the other five were citizens of Australia, the United Kingdom and Poland. daily to Haaretz.

“A few minutes later, three vehicles belonging to the humanitarian organization left the warehouse without the truck in which the alleged gunman was. According to the security source, this person did not leave the headquarters of the warehouse.”

On the way back, “the vehicles followed a route previously approved by the Israeli army, and their journey was also coordinated with the army,” Haaretz reported.

Sources told an Israeli newspaper: “At one point, while the convoy was traveling along the agreed route, the operations room of the unit responsible for protecting the route ordered drone operators to attack one of the vehicles with a missile.”

“Some passengers were seen getting out of the car after the rocket hit and heading towards one or two cars. They continued their journey and even informed their superiors that they were under attack, but seconds later another rocket hit their car.” According to Haaretz sources.

Still according to the same sources: “The third vehicle of the convoy approached them and the passengers began to carry the wounded survivors of the second attack to get away from any danger. But then a third missile was fired, which hit. As a result of the attack, all seven volunteers of the organization were killed.”

Haaretz noted that “the Israeli military is aware that this is a serious incident that could have long-term implications for the continuation of fighting in Gaza, given the erosion of international legitimacy in recent years.”

“The security establishment is preparing to send representatives to the countries of nationality of the slain volunteers to personally present to senior government officials the results of the investigation conducted by the Israeli army,” the Israeli newspaper wrote.

And to emphasize that “last night’s attack is not the first time that the Israeli army has targeted members of the organization.”

“At the end of last week, an Israeli army sniper opened fire on a vehicle heading towards a food warehouse in the Khan Yunis district (southern part of the Gaza Strip). “The sniper hit the car’s windshield, but the volunteer on board was not injured,” the newspaper said.

Haaretz concluded its report by stating that “after the incident, the organization filed a complaint with the Israeli military and demanded that they stop shooting at their employees and ensure their safety during the distribution of food in the Gaza Strip, which is transported in full coordination, but the Israeli army did not meet the organization’s request.”

On Tuesday evening, Israeli Defense Minister Yoav Galant ordered the creation of a special team to investigate the circumstances surrounding the aid workers’ deaths.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu also said earlier Tuesday that “unfortunately, yesterday there was a tragic incident with our forces inadvertently targeting innocent people in the Gaza Strip.”

Attempting to justify the attack, Netanyahu added: “This happens in wartime and we are looking into the matter carefully and are in contact with the relevant governments. We will do everything we can to ensure that this never happens again.”

Netanyahu’s statement is the first official acknowledgment of the army’s responsibility for the death of the foreign team, after the Israeli army offered only condolences and promised to investigate the incident.

The Israeli army said in a statement on Tuesday that it had launched a “thorough investigation into the incident with senior army officials to understand all the circumstances”.

Since Monday evening, Arab and international condemnation of attacks targeting international aid workers has continued as they try to alleviate the effects of war and famine inflicted by Israel on the Gaza Strip, not to mention the catastrophic destruction inflicted on the Palestinian enclave over a long period of time. 6 month.

Since October 7, Israel has been carrying out deadly military operations in the Gaza Strip, causing tens of thousands of civilians, mostly children and women, in addition to unprecedented humanitarian disaster and destruction. The massive infrastructure that led to the appearance of Tel Aviv. For accusations of “genocide” by the International Court of Justice.

* Translated from Arabic by Munir Benuri.

Source: AA

Latest Posts

Don't Miss

Stay in touch

To be updated with all the latest news, offers and special announcements.